Your Car Accident & PIP Case
Every day in Florida someone is killed or injured in a car accident. If a careless driver has injured you or a loved one, it is imperative that you speak with an experienced Miami personal injury attorney. A skilled and aggressive accident lawyer will help you through the complicated process of pursuing compensation for your losses in order to focus on your recovery. All injured victims of Florida car accidents should know their rights and what steps they should take following an incident to ensure that their rights are protected in the Florida court of law.
Your Role After an Auto Accident
There are several steps that an injured driver or passenger would be urged to take following a vehicle accident to ensure that his or her rights are protected.
- Inform the authorities: If someone is injured in a car accident, be sure to call the police immediately. Make sure your side of the story is put into the police report. If the police do not show up at the site of the crash, file a report at the station within 24 hours.
- Accumulate Information: Capture a photo of the license and insurance information from the other drivers involved in the collision. If anyone witnessed the crash, get his or her contact information as well.
- Record notes: Start writing down every detail about the accident. Where did it take place? What time was it? How was the weather? Are there traffic lights or stop signs nearby? What were your apparent injuries? Were you in pain? You will be asked these questions over and over and it is important that your explanation is clear and consistent.
- Take photos or videos: Your cell phone will be your best tool to help build your case. Take photos of the damage to the vehicles, the location of the crash, the position of the vehicles, road conditions, and of the injuries you have suffered.
- Get medical attention: For a speedy recovery, you should see a medical professional right away. This medical record will serve as evidence to document your injuries and the time they take to heal completely.
- Call an experienced car accident attorney: Insurance companies profit from denying claims. A skilled personal injury attorney – like Zediker Law – can work with the insurance companies involved on your behalf to make sure that you receive the maximum settlement possible.
How We Handle a Car Accident Case
We’ve got your back with your fight to get the compensation you deserve in a car accident suit.
First, we will assess your case to best determine how to fight for you.
Then we will:
- Gauge the depth and breadth of your injuries and the negligent circumstances involved
- Investigate the scene of the accident
- Question witnesses
- Request documentation
- Work with medical experts
- Review documents, photos, and videos
- Work with experts who can reconstruct the scene of the accident
We will leverage all of that information to go head-to-head with the defendant’s attorneys to get you the best compensation possible. Most often this happens in a settlement meeting, but if the big corporation or insurance company won’t budge, our attorneys are trained, experienced, and ready to go to court. Whether in a settlement or at court, we’ve been able to win compensation many times over the defense’s initial low-ball offers.
Steps of a Car Accident Case
After you consult a medical professional and start considering a personal injury or car accident lawsuit, there are a handful of standard steps to take.
- Contact an Experienced Lawyer: Contact an attorney with years of experience handling personal injury and car accident cases – like Zediker Law. They will have a strategic approach toward assessing cases to determine whether you are able to pursue a personal injury claim and how much you could get in a case.
- Mounting Your Case: After you sign a retainer agreement, your attorney and legal team will begin looking over every aspect of your case — your injuries and the circumstances that caused them, the evidence, your employment history and wages, your family’s circumstances, and any other elements that will bolster your claim.
- Settlement Discussions: Your attorney will send what is called a “demand letter” to your insurance company or other party, laying out your case for damages. Most often, this is where your lawyer can get you a suitable personal injury settlement that will help make you feel whole again.
- Filing Your Lawsuit: However, if the other party offers a low-ball amount or outright rejects a reasonable settlement, then your legal team will switch gears and be ready to file a lawsuit to try to get you the best compensation possible.
- Discovery: This is a period of time when both sides of a lawsuit share documents and other evidence, as requested. During this time is when your attorney will go after every possible piece of documentation the other side has that could help support your case.
- Trial: When a case can’t be settled, it goes before a judge and jury. It is during this time that your attorney will argue your case, which includes interviewing expert witnesses. Given our track record in court, insurance companies and other parties aren’t excited about having to face Zediker Law in a courtroom. .
Settling an Auto Accident Case
A settlement happens when your attorney and opposing counsel come to an agreement on the damages, medical bills, lost wages, and other expenses. Your exact settlement amount will vary depending on several circumstances, including your level of injury, the type of accident, your employment status, and what sort of bills you’ve acquired as a result of someone else’s negligence. Your attorney will fight for you at no upfront cost with no hourly fees but will take a reasonable fee from your final recovery settlement.
The process isn’t instant: Your attorney won’t take the first offer, but will instead negotiate with opposing counsel to get a dollar amount that is suitable to your circumstances. Once both parties agree on an appropriate amount, it can take up to 6 weeks to get your money.
Personal Injury Claims and Accident Attorneys
Injured victims may pursue compensation for their losses by filing a personal injury claim. Compensation may be available for all related hospital expenses, lost income, physical pain, and emotional distress. A reputed personal injury attorney will offer a free case evaluation to anyone injured by a negligent driver. The Miami accident attorneys at Zediker Law Firm help victims assess liability and hold at-fault drivers accountable for the accidents they cause. Call us today to discuss your legal rights and options.
Sign Up for Legal Tips!
A quarterly email packed full of legal tips to protect you and your family.
We promise to protect your email address and will only email you 4 times a year.